Friday, February 9, 2007

The Hardest Thing about Writing a Novel

The hardest thing about writing anything; well for the purposes of this project, a novel, is getting good feedback.

Especially constructive feedback. And even when someone does offer constructive feedback, it's too easy to fall in the trap of saying, "oh the only reason you think that is because you don't understand me." Even if that is true, one has to make oneself understood.

The challenge of writing is a personal one as well, to be able to open oneself up to scathing, honest, and, at the end of the day, helpful and constructive criticism. Its too easy to tell everyone that "I want to hear your honest comments" and then end up defensive when the reaction is "negative." Then you end up like Mao.

Work with me and even if I do get defensive, please understand that it is momentary and that I'll come through in the end and let everything sink in. And, I certainly will not take anything personally. That I promise.

2 comments:

Sol said...

I hope that your project becomes my project -- I will try to spend more time reading your novel in progress

Sol said...

btw, the Mao comment... got a laugh out of me. Mostly because you're funny.